Gradius Rebirth Wiiware

Started by Bloodreign, 04 September 2008, 08:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodreign

Looks like Konami got M2 the company behind Gradius Galaxies to throw together a quick Gradius game, my main gripe with it is it's only 5 stages, way too short for a traditional Gradius game.

Movie of the entire game minus it's cheap ass ending:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm4504750

Much as I'm hoping for Gradius VI, this is about all we'll see right now, it might not get positive reviews as it recycles stages from MSX Gradius 2, and sound and voice effects from Gradius 2 and 3 arcades respectively. M2 and Konami really dug through their Gradius back catalog for the sounds and music, don't mind the music remixes at all, but the one sound effect I'm glad they brought  back was the Vic Viper crash from Nemesis 90 Kai (MSX Gradius 2 remake on the X68000), and inside the game if beaten enough times is a couple weapon sets for the Metalion, first time this ship has been in action since MSX Gradius 2, I think it being in there is a further homage to the MSX title.

Edit: also 3 years here, the only consistent native English speaking person on this board. :D
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.

A-Yty

Gradius VI was cancelled, right? Too bad. I wouldn't have minded it coming to PS2. I understand the cancellation had something to do with it being planned for PS3. I'm not a colossal fan of the series, but shmups are usually pure entertainment and challenge.

I mean, if they intentionally make a game that takes a leap back to the 90's graphics and control wise, why not just go and release the sixth one on a dying console? And I mean dying in the economical sense. It would still be lucrative to release games that aren't really designed to take all out of the newest consoles' abilities. PS2 is still doing reasonably, at least in Japan.

And yeah, you've been here longer and more active than any other foreigner. Some of the staff here even refer to this section as "Bloodreign's place"  :mrgreen:

Peklo

I've seen some videos too, and can't deny the feeling of being underwhelmed. I dig how they're throwing a bone or two to the MSX games (just look at the intro movie) and the music is nice, but it's still very much a quick remix of previous ingredients. It's functional, sure, but where's the love?

I'll reserve judgement until I have the game to play for myself, which I do hope I get a chance at. There hasn't been talk of a PAL release yet, to my knowledge.

Bloodreign

Far as I know A-Yty, Gradius VI isn't canceled, just on Konami's backburner (which could mean canceled, who knows), hopefully they do plan to work on it again and not give up on the series. Perhaps this game here could tell the future of Gradius games, Gradius Collection bombed in sales, if this bombs this could mean the end of the series in the US and maybe the world as Collection as I hear sold poorly in the UK as well.
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.