Thoughts on DX Chronicles

Started by A-Yty, 25 October 2007, 21:23

Previous topic - Next topic

A-Yty

So, you lucky foreign devils got the game on time  :mrgreen:
As was to be expected, the European release was postponed. So it'll take some time before many of us get to play the game.

But you who have played the game, share us your feelings.

Bloodreign

It's pretty good, has both English and Japanese voice acting, the old games now share the same voice acting for both languages, but if you like the old dialog, you'll be sorely disappointed as it seems the game was retranslated from the original Japanese version (first game was badly translated it seems hence the old corny dialog). The game's difficulty seems to remain the same, but for Rondo it seems as though they changed a quite a few little things in the remake, things such as putting in a few small areas that hold music pieces, the portal to nowhere on the ghost ship is now gone, but there's one of the hidden music pieces there (your only small spoiler), girls are mainly in the same hidden locations, but two have to be found a different way (and one is really obscure), plus Drac has an extra surprise for you at the end.

There's also a sound assign, I'm guessing you can assign whatever music for whatever stage you want, 2 new bosses for one new stage, and the standard boss rush mode (two versions, regular and full boss rush) which actually lets you randomize what boss you'll fight for each battle. All in all a good purchase although people are bitching around the internet already because SotN had different voice actors and lines (Alucard has a higher pitch to him, but sounds truer to the original Japanese voice actor as he too was higher pitched), guess you can't make everyone happy.
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.

A-Yty

So they changed legendary stuff like "Die monster" etc.? I'm not saying they shouldn't have tried to improve the VA, but did they do radical changes like that?

I hear the original SotN dialogue had pretty significant differences when compared to the English one. Death, for example, was a lot politer towards Al instead of having the "dad's angry co-worker, who sometimes reluctantly watched over the kid" -attitude.

Bloodreign

Yeah the entire script was re-written supposedly to match with the old Japanese version, it seems to have a corniness all it's own, but the classic lines everyone is used to is changed.

Death is still a rude bastard, he took my equipment when I tried the luck code run, but I started a new file to have the normal amount of hit points one gets on a normal run, and I glitched him, keeping all my equipment and turning the entire first castle into a breeze, anything that hit me only cost me 1 HP each time, that is until you meet Beezlebub in the inverted castle, he still hits hard..
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.

Ananaz

Apparently, the new translation doesn't really seem to be any closer to the original japanese script than the old one was, at all. Judging by this post at Neogaf, seems that they merely reworded the original script just to make it seem at least somewhat different, instead of completely translating it from the scratch. Lazy Konami. :P Oh well, at least the new voice acting is pretty decent, though it obviously lacks the charm and camp value of the original.
A memory false as summer snow

Q

I wonder who ever came up with that original 'What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!' line, apparently a quote by French novelist André Malraux. Guess they had some book smarts in the translation team.

Ananaz

Quote from: "Qualtagh"I wonder who ever came up with that original 'What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!' line
Symphony of the Night was translated by Jeremy Blaustein, one of the more well-known names in the industry. There was a pretty interesting interview with him posted a few months ago. It's mostly about Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill series, but he does talk a bit about SOTN too, right at the end of the interview.
A memory false as summer snow

Bloodreign

Got all games open but Peke, the little joke CV level from Rondo when you put in the wrong system card, not sure it's wroth beating Full Boss Rush 3 times just to get thi little thing, first two gives music tracks, just can't beat the damned Rush though I got close on Random Rush as I believe Shaft was the end of the rush.

Maria

I happened across the new Richter vs. Dracula translation when chatting with a friend about the game and got to say that... well. Sure the old one was quite silly, but this new translation seems just forced.

Didn't know "What is a man" was a quote from somewhere else, though - seeing they have a version of the line in Wild Arms 5. I considered it to be a SotN reference... Which it probably is, seeing it'd be kind of funny for two games to quote the same line when SotN is quite well-know by now.

Venetkoski

What i have seen at YouTube, i think that game kicks some ass.. Seriously, and the music is absolutely great, and it's much more easier than it's counterpart Rondo.. And what i've seen on one video, Dracula gets his booty kicked all over the place! Richter literally mopped the floor with the Lord of Darkness.. I'd really love to get PSP xD!
Fail?