George carlin died

Started by Chaos Guardian, 24 June 2008, 21:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaos Guardian

D: ;_;

Bloodreign

Damned shame as I found he and Richard Pryor two of the funniest guys I ever got to hear, now both are gone from us.

RIP Mr. Carlin.
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.

A-Yty

I don't know..I agreed with pretty much everything the guy based his stand-up routine on, but I never personally thought of him as an extraordirary comedian. I can understand why he was so popular, though. Especially nowadays.

Nevertheless, may his ashes perish slowly.

A-Yty

Quote from: A-Yty on 30 June 2008, 11:50
I don't know..I agreed with pretty much everything the guy based his stand-up routine on, but I never personally thought of him as an extraordirary comedian. I can understand why he was so popular, though. Especially nowadays.
Oh how things have changed in..11 and a half years?!

I'll just say that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ojjW2gHOg

Carlin was an extraordinary comedian. But I guess I'm kind of an odd ball for also preferring his lighter comedy days. He spew truths dressed in black as he got older, almost like a preacher. I think by the end he was how Bill Hicks would have eventually become. Both were more existential and about the big picture than a run of the mill stand up routine. Kind of like philosophers who wrap truth in jokes.

I was probably initially turned off by his focus on Christianity (which he slumped together as "religion"). Now, I'm not religious at all, but I was probably kind of fed up with militant atheists at that point and thought he was lauded by these fedora-clad lads because of his thoughts on religion. I didn't take into account his own Roman Catholic upbringing and whatnot. So, I wasn't and aren't offended by such acts. But it did get tiresome. I just didn't take into account that was but a drop in the array of topics Carlin discussed.

I was initially introduced to his "fire and brimstone" era acts and after probably seen them all by now, I'm checking out these early days clips. Back when he would make observational comedy about mundane things instead of just mankind steadily sinking. And was obviously very stoned  :o

Bloodreign

He went from the 7 dirty words you can't say on TV early in his career to just way too political for my liking towards the end. Thoguh I did see his last stand up routine, about how he outlived all his friends, and months later, he was gone.
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.