So did anyone buy the retro packs for PS 2 ,GC,or X-Box?

Started by Bloodreign, 15 January 2006, 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodreign

Well I've been on one hell of a retro gaming kick lately (blame it on emulators), and I bought Capcom Classics Collection, namco Museum 50th Anniversary Pack, and Taito Legends. Capcom has tons of hidden content, Taito is skimpy on extras, and Namco is pretty barebones. I'm not sure if any of these retro titles made the jump to Europe yet (Taito Legends did for sure, Europe got it before America did), and Taito announced a second Taito Legends pack with 40 games on it.

So has anyone bought any of these nice retro titles, or am I the only one on this board with a retro itch that only old games can cure?  :lol: )
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.

A-Yty

Does Zelda Collector's Edition Pack count?  :) Not that I'm really into Zelda, but it has 4 (?) games in one and I can always sell it for more. It's still sealed, as is my GC.  :mrgreen:

Bloodreign

Well the Namco retro pack has 16 games, Taito has 29, and Capcom 22, Taito Legends 2 is said to have 40, but like the first game Europe will likely see it first, there's still no word on whether Sega will port this one over like they did for TL 1, I sure as hell hope they do.

I believe though Capcom Classics Collection didn't see a GC port, but I'm thinking the other 2 may have, if not I'm sure on the Namco one (update no TL 1 or CCC for GC owners, sorry, but the Namco one did) if you've got a PS 2 they run for about 20 dollars U.S. (shouldn't be expensive in euros either).

CCC has the 3 GnG games on it, so that alone sold me, as well as arcade perfect ports of Final Fight and Forgotten Worlds. Now on the Strider Pack, MAME runs Strider 2 at a poor rate, and the sound skips a lot so the PSX version si the way to go on that one.
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.

Lumienkeli

I'm interested in Namco anniversary whatever for GBA since IMHO those games are best on portable consoles. Of course it'd be cool to play them with an arcade stick but they're more of that play-for-5-minutes-type games. I want Ms. Pac-Man, that's my favourite of those classic arcade games.
Soredemo boku wa yattenai.

Bloodreign

GBA has 5 games, I wish one of them were Sky Kid, I also wished Sky Kid Deluxe was maybe hidden on the PS 2 disc along with Sky Kid, but I always have MAME for that. Also love the fact Galaga and Galaga 88 are on the PS 2 disc, but Galaga 88 is locked until you achieve 40,000 points in Galaga, not really a hard feat. After you beat the 40,000 mark the 'out of order' sign comes off the Galaga 88 machine and it becomes playable. Pac Mania is also 'out of order' but Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man must both have their 20,000 point marks cracked, again not a hard feat.

Ah Sky Kid:

Christophe

Well, Bloodreign I think that you are amongst fellow collectors  over here. First of all I have the Strider pack you mentioned for the PSX. It was over 350 Finnish Marks in a local store but then one beautiful day two years ago it was on sale and I got it brand new!

If you want to emulate these on your PC I would recommend Zinc emulator that does a good job with these old PSX games. Or otherwise PE EE and Mame 0.103.

Do you have Xbox? I would recommend Tecmo collection in that case. You can buy it from play.com or from play-asia at a reasonable price. No, Ninja Gaiden (Shadow Warriors) or Tecmo Knight is not included but it does have some very decent conversion of such classics as Bomb Jack, Star Force etc. need I say more? It is amongst the top five retro collections on my book.

You really should forget the Midway Arcade collection 3. Some of the games are very playable but about half of the games have been raped completly. No extras this time either. Parts 1 and 2 are above average and I would recommend them if you are friend of the arcade originals. Road Blasters is virtually unplayable, though.

Namco Museum 1-5 for the PSX is the best collection available. It is very hard to get it these days, though. The European Capcom Collection (4 discs) for the PSX was great stuff too.

If you have both Xbox and PS2 I would recommend the Xbox Taito collection. It comes on a DVD and there is the possibility yo use an authentic arcade stick. It has been speculated that the European PS2 version does not support digital (arcade stick) controllers. Anyhow, it is not the same emulator as in the japanese Taito collections. This time it is written Mame all over in these European collections. (Just check the credits).

None of these ports comes even close when compared to the authentic arcade coin ops. I played the authentic Ms Pacman and Galaxian in the Puuhamaa amusement park over here in Finland last summer. A good friend and fellow collector maintains these beauties. They also have lots of other great titles such as Outrun deluxe, Hang On, Space Harrier etc. You can play these for free! And there are sometimes competitions during the summer time in these retro games.

I got high scores in all the retro games last summer apart from Outrun as I was not used to the cabinet of the deluxe version ;)

Bloodreign

Yeah I own Midway Arcade Treasures 2, Namco Museum Volumes 1 and 3, skipped out on MAT 3 for those reasons you listed, and a guy from Gamestop confused Rygar from Tecmo's collection for a Taito game (don't have an X-Box), in turn I had to correct him (I was buying the Namco Museum 50th Anniversary game at the time).

We had a store here that had the Ms. Pac Man/ Galaga cabinet set to free play, but after a couple months they disabled free play, so I get my kicks in on MAME or on this Namco collection (MAME has my favorite thing for the Pac Man games, the speed up hack cheat, makes the games even better).

And it's good to know there are fellow collectors here.  :D

Christophe

Are any of you guys from GB? You had the best mags at the 80's. The likes of Zzap 64! and Your Sinclair. It would be so cool to talk with a person who has met Julian Rignall. He is probably the best known european pro video games player of the era. It would be awesome to challenge him in the Defender ;)

"If you play Defender let me be your Hyperspace" -BB

Q

You fellas haven't mentioned the Sega Classics Collection. I guess I'm going to purchase that one, since I'm a Sega guy at least as much as a Castlevania guy. I know the remakes on it are kinda lame, but what the heck, it's Sega!

Bloodreign

Well it looks like Taito Legends 2 will hit Europe on March 31st, however we here in the US still have no release date, as I'm sure there has been no takers yet to port the collection here. This makes me mad, as I've waited patiently for the second Taito volume to come along with promises of 40 more great Taito games, only to see that there isn't a date for release yet. TL 1 had about a 2-3 week window between the Europe and US releases, hopefully this is the case here as well, but for now I'm doubtful.

Christophe

Yours truly placed his order of this amazing collection!

I just can't wait this packet to arrive in the post! If you have read the episode of Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin is waiting for his amazing Propeller Hat to arrive you know what I'm talkin' about ;) 

Kultamuna Classic

I am starting to think I might be getting the Capcom collection. Too bad they have pimped Street Fighter 2 with its multiple variations in there again, might've given us something else.

BTW here is a nice list of all recent retro collections, and the games each contain:
http://curmudgeongamer.com/2005/12/year ... tions.html
(browse a bit down)

Bloodreign

Ha the Tecmo collection came out for X-Box, and the guy that worked for Gamestop tried to sell me that collection when I clearly said PS 2 Namco 50th, what a nimrod he was (he also confused Taito with Tecmo).

Still no release date for Taito Legends 2 in the US yet, but I have been tempted to buy the PC TL 2 , just never imported games with a money order before.

Kultamuna Classic

OH FUCK! :(

I WANT IT NOW EVEN MORE!  :mrgreen:

Bloodreign

Trust me it's worth the 20 bones it might cost you (US bones that is, whatever that is in Euros), 20+ great games, this collection as also recently ported minus the GnG games to PSP. They even threw in a couple more games the PS 2 and X-Box versions didn't have like Strider, Magic Sword, and 1941.