If you had to move to another country

Started by A-Yty, 11 September 2015, 11:26

Previous topic - Next topic

A-Yty

what would be your first choice?

I'm thinking Canada. Main language is familiar, it has a reputation as a clean country with relatively little crime, has nice people, high standards of living with good healthcare, it's the 14th wealthiest nation in the world so job opportunities sound promising and it has slim chances of getting attacked or pulled into a war  :jees:

Bloodreign

Japan, because arcades and video game shops that are slowly drying up.
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.

A-Yty

Hey, do you guys have "sawdust tracks"? As in nearby forest areas with paths cleared and filled mainly with sawdust and some smaller areas with sand and gravel. Meant for jogging, running, walking and skiing. They're also barred from motorized vehicles and sometimes bicycles too.

According to Wikipedia, there is no English equivalent, so I'm guessing that if they are there, they're not very common. German refers to it as "Finnenbahn". Here it's "pururata" (word-for-word translation: "powder track", but since in this case, "puru" refers almost exclusively to the powder from chipped wood, it's not specified as "sahanpururata", which would be "sawdust track")

Bloodreign

To my knowledge, no we have nothing like that. There was supposed to be a 19 mile trail for hiking/walking/biking along an old long gone railroad line, but since that line ran through people's backyards, that idea was scrapped. Now trees and long grass have long taken over the path that rail line left, if you aren't old enough to remember one ran through that 19 mile stretch, you'd never know it existed.
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.

A-Yty

Merry Christmas! An info nugget. Here's a Finnish Christmas tradition. As long as I remember, they've shown this every Christmas Eve:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_All_of_Us_to_All_of_You

I suppose it's a Christmas television tradition similar to how It's A Wonderful Life is in USA?

A-Yty

Do you guys wear wool socks when it's cold? I'm thinking of all the conversations online or offline with Americans and all the shows and movies I've watched and I don't remember them ever mentioned :ritari:

A-Yty

Quote from: A-Yty on 04 June 2019, 01:38
Hey, do you guys have "sawdust tracks"? As in nearby forest areas with paths cleared and filled mainly with sawdust and some smaller areas with sand and gravel. Meant for jogging, running, walking and skiing. They're also barred from motorized vehicles and sometimes bicycles too.

According to Wikipedia, there is no English equivalent, so I'm guessing that if they are there, they're not very common. German refers to it as "Finnenbahn". Here it's "pururata" (word-for-word translation: "powder track", but since in this case, "puru" refers almost exclusively to the powder from chipped wood, it's not specified as "sahanpururata", which would be "sawdust track")
I just realized, looking at city and municipal home sites, that they are no longer referred to as "sawdust tracks", because nowadays they lack the sawdust. Instead they're referred to as "exercise tracks" or "jogging tracks". Back in the 90's the tracks were filled with sawdust (a bliss for the ankle when running long distances), but at some point, I'm guessing early 2000's, it was gradually replaced with sand and gravel.

This might be the results of the 1990's economic depression in Finland as getting fresh sawdust to cover several kilometers is probably more expensive. But then, I guess, the effect on the municipalities was delayed, because I distinctively remember there was plenty of sawdust on the tracks all the way till maybe late 90's, at which point the depression was over. But it has not returned since.

Kind of like the near full employment rate in Finland hasn't returned since.