Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins impressions

Started by Bloodreign, 11 October 2006, 13:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodreign

After 15 years and a few consoles later Arthur the Knight finally gets an updated adventure, being a fan of the GnG series I decided to plunk down 40 bucks and buy this game for PSP, not a bad purchase at all. First of all this game is pretty difficult in the vein of the older titles, though not quite as hard in a sense, the player can save between levels, but lord forbid you find one of the 33 rings, and not reach the end of the stage, therefore losing said gold ring, and having to retrieve it again. The game has 3 difficulty levels, Novice and Standard, you respawn wherever you died, unless it's in a pit, then you respawn back a little in the stage. Ultimate mode plays like the old GnG games of old, 2 hits and you're dead, no checkpoints in any of the stages either. The music for this title is phenomenal, IMO it reaches the Castlevania status for music, if not in some ways surpasses it, the graphics are quite beautiful as well (best looking Red Arremer in this game to date). This game definitely feels old school, and besides this section needed a new topic. :)

Anyone have a chance to play UGnG yet? Impressions?
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.

A-Yty

Luv the SNES game. I vaguely remember the NES one too. Any chance of a version for some other system? Then again, I already have two reasons to get a PSP: MGS: Portable Ops and Silent Hill: Original Sin.

Bloodreign

Well I've heard sales have flopped (this could've worked on other systems) I'm guessing UGnG won't be ported to any other system anytime soon.

In the old days GnG got ported to so many systems due to the fact it was an arcade game at heart, UGnG feels pretty much like a quarter muncher itself, they(Capcom) managed to capture the arcade magic, even if the game is an adventure game. I also remember reading they got the original GnG programmer back, but his name escpaes me at the moment.
New sig, my old one is a dead link, so I changed it to something useless, like this text. If you read it, congrats, you wasted your time.

Christophe

I was somewhat excited when I heard about this new Arthur adventure too. Mind you, I don't even have a PSP. I am a great fan of the series, though. In fact, it is somewhat hard to keep count of all the Daimakaimura games I have for all the consoles. The european PSX Capcom collection includes all the earlier games of the series (even the SNES game) so it is a good buy. 

Another quite new addition to the series is the Gameboy Advance game that includes an all new arrange mode. That is one game that I still miss in my collection, though.

Bloodreign

I paid 17 US Dollars for a sealed copy of SGnG for GBA, and although I managed to get through the remade stages (second to highest difficulty level, finish a level with green armor, finish with gold armor for the highest, hardest route) I'm still stuck on the second to last stage with my Goddess Bracelet. Astaroth(the red bearded double faced demon) and Nebiroth (the green bearded double faced demon) pretty much make me reset the GBA in order to continue to try and beat them, often I make it to them with gold armor, helps the distance the Goddess Bracelet wepon can travel, but they humble me to no end.

Gotta love a series that if made today would humble many a new gamer out of their wits. Also gotta love how the PSX Capcom Generations 2 pack (which Chris spoke of) as well as all the other Generation packs got squeezed onto Capcom Classics Collection, so the 3 GnG titles are all in there.

Chaos Guardian

I got it last september, got stuck halfway through the third stage.

I might give it another go soon.